Reluctant Downhiller in action

Reluctant Downhiller in action

Friday 6 December 2013

To have categories or not to have categories ?


After the success of the opening round of 661 Mini DH Ladies class, with 27 ladies racing.  The question has been asked of whether there should be age categories in Women’s DH racing.

Sunday’s race was split into 2 categories, a Pro-Am and ‘Open’ class, unfortunately no guidance was given on what a Pro Am rider was so only 2 entered this category but hopefully more guidance will be given prior to next year’s round.  This category gave the everyday riders a fair chance against the highly skilled semi pros that come to enjoy the excellent atmosphere.   And the top 3 overall women were given the Pro Am honours with the next 3 highest placed females getting the Open prizes. 

However with our numbers on the increase and by way of encouraging more, is it time to have age categories in Women DH racing?

To some it may seem an easy yes / no answer, but it isn’t.  For example, if there had only been 1 entry in the Pro Am class there was nothing stopping me entering and even thought I came 2nd to last overall in the ladies, I would have got podium!  In the horse world that I come from we’d refer to that as ‘pot collecting’ the strategic entry to gain a prize.

Then there’s the issue of age categories, if women are divided into age categories like the men from the last race the numbers would of been:

5 Vets, 9 Masters, 8 Seniors, 5 under 18’s.  Is a race with only 5 in a class as much competition as a race with 27 in a class?

I will admit to being totally torn on whether to split the ladies and if so how.  So I thought I’d blog to explore MY feelings on the subject.

Tainted Victory
So if we had age categories I’d have come 9th out of 9, rather than 23rd out of 24.  What is the better victory, a top 10 place or knowing I’d not been last? 

No-one wants to get a podium by default.   In DH podiums are hard fought in the men’s categories, with 10th of seconds deciding who comes first or last.  Getting placed is about pushing yourself to the limits not simply turning up and clocking a time on the day.  If age categories were introduced to the women’s race without sufficient numbers this could happened.

If you hold a BC racing licence then your placing in a DH race accrues you points towards a national ranking.  The more points the higher your national ranked.  With smaller classes more women at these events would get the higher point’s associated/awarded to top 10 positions, giving them advantage over other less well attended races (if I’ve got the points system wrong please correct me, I don’t have a licence so not clear on this).

Competition to improve competition.
If there were smaller age categories then this could result in less competitive classes.  Rather than ladies fighting for every second it’s easy to sometimes put in only the effort needed to win.  If for example in the masters, only me and another much faster rider had entered, knowing I’m pretty slow is the other rider going to take the same risks as they would if there were other faster riders.  Also running in small classes at locals will not prepare people for riding in larger classes at Nationals and International events.    

Mental outlook and racing
As we get older our outlook changes, I for one know mine has.  I now have a job where I’m relied upon and part of my income comes from self employed work where if I’m ill I simply don’t get paid or could be sued for breach of contract! This is in my head and sometimes I find myself not taking the risks needed to decrease my times as I can’t afford what will happen if things go wrong.  When I was younger I was so much more carefree, if I didn’t get to work I was replaceable, and I didn’t have a mortgage.  If I couldn’t pay my bills I could try battering my eye lids at mum and Dad and hope they’d bail me out (not that I ever did that).  I simply didn’t have the responsibility which plays on my conscience now.

Physical difference.
As I’m getting older I’m noticing not only do I not bounce like I used to, but it’s harder to maintain fitness & strength and takes longer to recover.  Back in 2000 when I came 3rd in a 50km MTB marathon, I’d worked until 2am the night before and still managed to put a great performance on the bike the next day.  Now, midnights about the latest I can manage whilst still resembling a human the next day.  OK so if I’m racing I’d not be looking at partying prior, but it shows the changes that happen as we mature.  This year when I damaged my shoulder in an ‘off’ in the 6 weeks recovery all the fitness I’d built up over the summer left, and I’m still trying to build it back up now in Nov.  I burn out quicker, when I used to get tired it would happen over a period of time, now it’s like a switch going from energy to no energy.  Documented differences in sport performance as we get older are well documentated so is it fair that I race against people at their physical peak age wise.

The same can be said for the younger girls, junior females race in the open ladies cat, if is fair that girls who’s bodies aren’t fully developed are pitched against mature adults.

Why Split?
With the normal women’s category at races, many entrants are chasing shadows.  On my 2nd ever DH races I competed against Tracey Mosley, now she’s a lovely person and is friendly and supportive.  But she’s also amazing on a bike and at a skill level I could only dream of obtaining.  I doubt that some of the guys would have wanted to be racing against her.  But I did! It was however a pretty much given that Tracey would win, and with the performance she put in she deserved it, riding a trail bike with back pack J.  But is it fair that I compete against such talented and experienced riders, Tracey was a guy she would of been put in the Elite / pro category, but as us women race in 1 class we don’t have that advantage, categories would give women the same level playing field as the guys. 

How to split?
Why split on age? And why do we need to have a podium if we do?

Could we not celebrate our differences without diluting the race, we do change as we get older it’s a fact, but then those racing want to race others and win fairly.

So here are a few options that might work 

Option 1
Run races categories on experience and performance, for example

Novice = Riders who have never been top 3 at any DH race

Open = Riders who have been podium more than once at a local level (National B) event.

Intermediate = Riders who hold a BC license with more than 200 points, race at National Level.

Pro – Am = Riders who have raced at national Level and achieve podium place.  Riders who race at international Level.  Any rider who feels their experience or achievements places them in this category.   

Of course these cats would need more details this is just a guideline, sponsorship would not dictate what category a rider was placed in to promote investment in the sport.

Option 2
Keep the official class as it currently is, with the ProAm and ‘Open’ category and award BC points in line with this, but give out awards to the best placed in each separate age category, this doesn’t involve a podium, not 1st, 2nd or 3rd with a cup.  Just a pair of socks or a beanie to each best in their age group.

Option 3
A handicap system similar to the horse racing world.  Rather than using weights add or subtract seconds based on age.  So race us in 1 category but equal the field through time difference.  With smaller classes this could even be used to incorporate the pro-ams!


This is just my ranting on the subject, but with more women racing and over a broad age/ability range I can see the question being raised more over the coming years.   

No comments:

Post a Comment