Reluctant Downhiller in action

Reluctant Downhiller in action

Wednesday 4 December 2013

Manning up and moving on



661 Ladies Category

Last year I didn't enter the first round of the 661 Mini DH at the Forest of Dean, partly because I never intended to race in the winter (wet slippy tracks, slippy roots, risk of getting snowed in at home) I had a whole list of excuses.  But my main one was because I'd been warned that the race was on Ski Run.

It's not that the track is mega hard, I just had a hang up with it. I'd tried to ride it and couldn't, after that I'd simply avoided the track.  It needs some level of commitment to get down and that's something I really lack on a bike.

Roll forward to this year and it was time I manned up and I had another go down the track and to my surprise found it to be OK,  so there was no excuse for me not to enter the winter 661 Mini Series this year.

My relationship with Ski run is rather hit and miss, I either get down fine and love it, or hold on for grim death, off balance and petrified.  In direct correlation to this are my feelings of racing on it, part of me wanted to as it represented an  improvement in my riding, the other part was petrified as Ski Run with added race nerves could be a match made in hell. 

So I had mixed feelings when the track was announced as Ski Run, as the race chatter built up during the week I was carried away by everyone's excitement just that one nagging fear of my hit & miss reputation on Ski Run. 

Saturday practice started with a track walk with Katy Curd, looking at lines with her laid back and confident nature is a real cure for pre race nerves.  Then it was time to get on the bikes, Ski run track was already busy so I headed off to another track to warm my muscles and get focus, before heading over to Ski Run.  I have to say how happy I was with practice, having now done a few Forest of Dean Races people have got to know me and give me some time to ride down rather than setting off after me (very grateful for this guys).  My first runs were terrible, nerves taking over and flow totally lacking, but the more I rode the more relaxed I got.  I had no massive hang ups by the end of the day other than not knowing what lines would be open race day (track wasn't fully taped on Saturday).

After a fun night in at a local pub, and breakfast cooked by Lindsey Hanley, we all rolled out to FOD for race day.  I was feeling a lot more relaxed than normal, I think the bacon butty had helped.  However when I started heading up the hill nerves hit, I simply didn't want to ride. I thought about going to warm up on another track but as I neared the top I wondered if that was a good idea, I was avoiding the problem not tackling it and with some lines taped in that I'd not really ridden I did need to practice. 


I simply rolled down on my first run, missing all my lines and not making a turn. I was livid with myself, I'd was confident and happy the day before so why the shaking wimp riding today.  After a stern talk to myself I pushed up and this time rolled down slower but focusing on what I was doing not what I was feeling... it worked I hit the lines I wanted and made the turn.  My next few runs were aimed at increasing the speed and still hitting the lines, until I decided to do a run on to the forest road, I washed out on some roots, the back end totally slipping out, as I dropped down the chute slightly sideways. I was too scared to scream or swear.  Walking back up to look at what happened, the roots were now looking nice and polished, as several bikes went over I witnessed wheels sliding and some recovered some didn't.  At my slower speeds I didn't have a hope, the lack of forward momentum meant that my bike didn't straighten before the steep drop onto the forestry.  This is were DH comes into it's owe, you see next to the roots was an older established line, of a couple of roots then a rock step, riding up to it, it looked less inviting than the smooth level roots to the side, but for me it could work.  I watched, studied and worked out what I'd need to aim for to make the line and pushed up.  My first run was entertaining, I looked for the features that would line me up and aimed for them, I felt the suspension move as my front wheel pumped over the roots, then it dropped away to make the step, the rear naturally followed and before I knew it I was heading down the chute to the road, with a small collective of expletive's and a cheer from below.  The line worked, no slipping, it was grippy the whole way through and felt more natural for me to hit than the roots.

Now I'd got my main lines sorted it was race time...

I'd not got time to do a complete ride to the bottom but knew that part of the track pretty well (I thought) so was happy.  My target time was 2mins 22 seconds, the time Hannah had done at her first race on Ski run (and her first ever DH race)

My first race run was pretty uneventful, I was short on a couple of my lines meaning I had to brake excessively to make corners.  I had a lovely skid on the forestry road as I was going faster than my practice runs (according to my Hubby it looked impressive). The step down areas felt pretty OK and the run down felt pretty confident and good.  As I crossed the finish line I listened for my time 2:19. I was dead chuffed 3 seconds below my target.  My challenge was set for run 2 as 2:15.

So after cheering on friends, a can of coke and enjoying the atmosphere, I was back up the top and looking forward to run 2. 





As per normal I elected to go last, and as our numbers dwindled at the start I felt more focused than previously.  As the beeps dropped I was off, this time I pretty much hit all my lines up top, but elected to miss one as I could see the ground had changed and didn't trust it, this meant over braking to make a turn (seconds lost, but not as many as if I'd come off) I hit my line to the right of the roots perfectly and therefore had plenty of time to modulate my speed for the drop onto the forestry, impressed with myself for not swearing this time, however I over braked on the forestry road to make the line as I dropped down the track (mistake 2, again lost seconds) as I cycled down I hit a new line that had appeared during the race, but looked at the surface and over brake as I came onto it rather than trusting the bike to grip (yep more lost seconds), as I cleared this section I knew I'd lost time so pedalled as I crossed the timing split.  Then dropping down to some roots I hated but did my best to look forward and not brake, clearing the roots, I over braked for a berm (even more lost seconds) and tried to pedal, that when I realised my total lack of fitness had kicked in, as I pedalled for the first jump my legs felt like lead, I rolled the first jump, dropping a gear as I went to ease the tiredness, lifting off ground of the last tabletop, and pushing into the berms I found my thigh muscles on fire as I pretty much limped over the finish spent of all energy.. My time however made me shriek in joy 2:12 Yes! 3 seconds below my target.


I am annoyed with myself, I know I could of gone faster.  Firstly if I'd walked the track race morning I'd have seen the new line that developed and practiced it.   My fitness let me down, but most of all my confidence.  I can ride the tracks, I didn't even have a 'oh crap' moment, in my first race run I got down without any issues, so why the hell can't I let go of the brakes a bit more.  So for my next race prep it's fitness training, and working on my speed. 

If your interested in having a go at Down Hill racing, I'd highly recommend the 661 Mini DH, for more information visit their website here

For information on coaching with Katy Curd, who kindly shared her expertise with us on Saturday Click Here





No comments:

Post a Comment